Enforcement of Settlement Agreements

During a divorce, you will probably make many settlement agreements on issues like child support and alimony. Once the divorce is finalized, you should be able to take relief from the fact that the hardest part is over and those agreements will be relatively permanent. Unfortunately, sometimes an ex-spouse takes matters into his or her own hands and refuses to comply. When this happens, the best thing you can do is contact a Raleigh family lawyer immediately to start filing for an enforcement of settlement agreements.

What is an Enforcement of Settlement Agreements?

A marriage is a contract. A divorce is not entirely the termination of that contract, so much as another contract with its own set of rules. Both spouses are legally bound to the agreements they make during their divorce. Still, lingering emotions from the divorce could lead to an ex-spouse making rash decisions out of spite or vengeance. These decisions could include refusing to pay alimony, withholding visitation, or refusing to split up property as previously discussed.

You don’t have to suffer this kind of abuse. If this is your situation, you have the right to bring legal action against your spouse by filing for an enforcement of settlement agreements. This is a way for the court to legally compel your spouse to comply with your agreements. If you can prove that your spouse has breached the contract, he or she could be held in contempt and face charges such as jail time, fines, and wage garnishment.

In some cases, you may find yourself hit with an enforcement when you had good reason for breaching your agreement. A sudden change in work schedules or the loss of your job could make it impossible to keep up with child support payments or regular visitations. If this is your case, your Raleigh family lawyer can help you pursue a modification of child support or alimony.

Raleigh’s Family Lawyer

Our Raleigh family lawyers have years of experience handling enforcement of settlement agreement cases for clients in Raleigh and surrounding counties. If your ex-spouse is being non-compliant with your divorce settlement, don’t suffer in silence. The right legal representation can help you secure your agreements once and for all. Contact us to schedule a free consultation with a top Raleigh family lawyer today.